From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange KDE .txt CUPS Settings
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:21:43
1 Hello all,
2
3 I witnessed some unexpected printing behavior recently. I can't really
4 understand why these results happen, but I solved my specific problems.
5
6 I'm running KDE 3.5.10, so this might not apply to 4.x (though I'd be
7 interested if someone could test it!).
8
9 I usually use a2ps to print things, since for most text files and graphics I
10 prefer the smaller size. At some point, I must have changed the printer
11 configuration in KEdit to "Landscape," and this confused a2ps about the
12 orientation of the page for text file printing.
13
14 After killing probably half a tropical rainforest and rebuilding many
15 packages, I saved the configuration change in KEdit printing to Portrait,
16 and then everything was just fine. These results are also applied even on a
17 console-login and a2ps, although the KEdit print settings are at least
18 user-specific.
19
20 Is it really correct for a program like KEdit to have control over *all*
21 text file printer settings? (I know it's just text file settings because
22 a2ps was working fine for other file formats.) What configuration files is
23 it actually changing?
24
25 Regards,
26 daid