From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with this hald thing and why can't I rip CDs any more?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:10:02
1 "Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman" <buanzo@××××××××××.ar> wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA512
5 >
6 > Dale wrote:
7 > | [...] Keep in mind that I have KDE and not gnome here.
8 >
9 > Well, something that NEVER happened to me during my Gentoo years on my desktop computer (I like
10 > changing distros from time to time, just for the fun of it) was HAL disturbing me. (I use kde, btw).
11 >
12 > BUT I'm using Kubuntu now, and I can't burn a DVD while with k3b if I don't stop hal and dbus before
13 > even executing k3b!
14
15 I don't know _what_ problems you have....
16
17 There are several possibilities:
18
19 - You are using a bad medium that does not follow the Red-Book standard
20 and for this reason confused your drive.
21
22 - The fork "cdrkit" is known for not working at all in many cases because
23 of a bad hack in libscg.
24
25 - HAL works on Solaris, but it does not work on Linux.
26 It does not work on Linux because it polls the drive the wrong way and
27 acts in an unfriendly way.
28
29 If your problems are caused by the cdrkit bugs, upgrade to a recent original:
30
31 ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
32
33 Note that you need to disable HAL anyway if you write CDs/DVDs in DAO mode,
34 because in this case HAL tries to mount the medium while it is still written
35 and thus causes a buffer underrun.
36
37 Jörg
40 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin