From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] eix output for dev-perl/Expect
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:45:54
1 I've been fooling around with various tools that I've used elsewhere,
2 wanting to use them on Gentoo.
3
4 I'm puzzled by the output of 'eix' in respect to several, and some
5 associated odd behavior of
6 emerge. I'll use as an example dev-perl/Expect. It's installed, but I
7 don't understand what eix
8 is trying to tell me about it with the [D] at the beginning of the report,
9 or the "*" associated
10 with the Available versions strings.
11
12 The questions:
13 1. what do these mean, and what was interfering with emerge -aDNvu this
14 morning?
15 2. (probably more important) how do I find this out for myself in the
16 future?
17
18 Note: the string "Expect" does not appear in any file in /etc/portage
19
20 Here's the output:
21
22 treat portage # eix dev-perl/Expect
23 [D] dev-perl/Expect
24 Available versions: *1.20 *1.21
25 Installed versions: 1.21(06:23:49 05/12/08)
26 Homepage: http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/
29 treat portage #
30 --
31 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD