From: Mark David Dumlao <stuffinator@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gnome CD automount fails without error
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:27:49
1 Hi guys
2
3 I'm using GNOME on gentoo and I like the behavior where usb drives will pop
4 up a nautilus window
5 on plugin.
6
7 I always expected this behavior on CDs as well, but for some reason, I only
8 noticed today
9 (after quite a while of using, since I haven't plugged in a CD for quite a
10 while) that it doesn't
11 work.
12
13 So I've been investigating a bit on some things to check.
14 1) my cdrom mount point.
15 the cdrom mount point is owned by root.cdrom and has
16 rwx,rx,- permisions
17
18 All relevant users are members of the root.cdrom group.
19
20 however this seems to me completely irrelevant since as
21 far as i recall, gnome-volume-manager should automatically
22 just create a mount point for the cdrom.
23
24 2) my fstab entry
25 I've tried without an fstab entry, and with. When I work with
26 an entry, it looks like this:
29 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 users,noauto 0 0
30
31 again, this looks irrelevant to me since my alternate system (ubuntu)
32 uses almost the same fstab with just root partitions switched around
33 and the automount seems to work fine.
34
35 3) plugdev membership.
36 all relevant users are members of plugdev.
37 plugdev seems to properly create USB devices when things are
38 pluggied in.
39
40 4) device file
41 my hard disks are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
42 my cdrom is in /dev/hdb
43 cdrom permissions give me
44
45 markd@trixie:~$ ls /dev/hdb -l
46 brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 3, 64 Mar 6 2008 /dev/hdb
47
48 this is i think statically created by udev.
49
50 5) kernel and stuff
51 markd@trixie:~$ uname -r
52 2.6.23-gentoo-r3
53
54 6) gnome-volume-manager -d no
55 (runs gnome-volume-manager in the foreground)
56 is completely silent.
57
58 7) The CDs themselves.
59 They seem to work when I do a mount from the command line.
60
61 Is there anything else I need to check? I want the cdrom to pop up
62 correctly.
63
64 On a tangent, i noticed that all my partitions are appearing in
65 the nautilus sidebar bookmarks and also my desktop. I have quite
66 a number of partitions, so this isn't the behavior I expect. When I
67 click my Places menu, I notice that my partitions are listed in removable
68 media. How do I take them out?
69 --
70 thing.