From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Further probs/phenomena
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:56:38
1 Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > As I am right at the beginning with my understanding and knowledge
5 > about the gentoo system, I would like to know, what this "~86" in
6 > /etc/portage/package.keywords does.
9 Well, I'm not the quintessential gentoo user, but, I'll give
10 you some simple advise. ~x86 means for the package listed you
11 are willing to install the testing version of the software.
12 The 3 flavors of linux software are stable, testing, and unstable
13 (or under active development).
17 > Is it advebtureous to do so, or is it just a good working tuning
18 > thing for x86 systems ?
19
20 Ah here you leave the ground of objective answers into the realm of the
21 subjective, as such, I can only give you my opinion. YES. I mostly
22 rund stable on my sytems and use the files in /etc/portage, when I
23 choose to venture out. You could have your entire gentoo system
24 as ~x86 (testing) as some folks to, and fix the problems. If this is
25 your first or only gentoo system, having ~x86 for everything is suicide
26 and will result in your looking for another linux distro. Using ~x86
27 to gain access to those key software packages, when necessary or
28 desired, is warranted.
31 > Anbother question: Is there a documentation of the _installed_ gentoo
32 > system -- not the installing process as such?
33
34 on google use searches such as these:
35
36 subject +gentoo +wiki +howto (etc) and you'll find a multitude
37 of documentation. After you have read, and given a reasonable attempt
38 to figure things out, and fail, then you post to this list. There
39 are numerous folks with various skill levels that read this list,
40 and most try to help, particularly those that have attemmpted self-help
41 first. Here are a few bookmarks:
42
43 http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
44 http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags