From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Instrumenting the GPU
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:43:46
1 On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 18:24:52 GMT Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 13. November 2017, 11:59:06 CET schrieb Peter Humphrey:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > I'm hunting a problem with cooling in this box, and I've got as far as
6 > > suspecting my new AMD WX 5100 GPU.
7 > >
8 > > One of my BOINC projects causes the GPU temperature, as shown by
9 > > gkrellm, to shoot up to 75C or more and cause intolerable system
10 > > cooling noise. If I suspend that project but leave the other seven
11 > > running, the temperature returns to what I hope is a normal 55C. Those
12 > > seven projects are supposed to use the GPU, but I'm not sure whether
13 > > they do in fact.
14 > >
15 > > Is there any way I can monitor what is using the GPU, to find out?
16 >
17 > There's also https://github.com/clbr/radeontop, which happens to have an
18 > ebuild.
19
20 Simplicity itself! Although it doesn't show what process is using the GPU,
21 what it does show is conclusive evidence that just the one BOINC project is
22 using it. At the time I tried it, that is; I'll have to keep checking as the
23 BOINC manager cycles around the projects.
24
25 Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks Marc.
28 Regards,
29 Peter.