From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When did bzImage move?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 04:25:58
1 On 2 Feb 2009, at 03:46, Dale wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I think I tried this &/or genkernel & when I looked at /boot I found
4 >> they'd littered the place with clutter.
5 >>
6 >> I hope you won't be offended, but the amount of junk files this added
7 >> made me want to barf.
8 >>
9 >> I have avoided any such "complications" since, considering I don't
10 >> consider copying a file & editing grub.conf to be anything of a
11 >> complication myself.
12 >> ...
13 >
14 > I think I read somewhere that system.map file is no longer needed,
15 > unless you want to set up things in a "odd" way. Is that correct?
16
17 I've certainly never needed it, in several years since 2.4 kernels.
18 But IIRC it is/was copied over when using these "automated kernel
19 installation methods".
20
21 Stroller.