From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation: well linux-supported inkjet printers
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:21:27
1 On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:17:54 -0400
2 John J. Foster wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:34:13AM -0300, Mauro Faccenda wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > Does anyone can recommend a well-supported inkjet printer for using with
8 > > Linux?
11 > HP Deskjet 5550 works just fine
12
13 I'll just weigh in here for Hewlett Packard, (although I am told that if you want highest quality digital photo prints go for epson).
14
15 Quite simply HP support linux with good quality tools that are free in
16 both senses of the word - no $ and GPL.
17
18 Just chack that your printer is on the compatibilty list at
19 http://hpinkjet.sf.net and then install hplip 0.9.5 (which you may need
20 to get from bugs.gentoo.org.
21
22 Here is a re-post of a message I sent to my local lug earlier this week:
23
24 <quote>
25 Regular readers will be aware that my standard answers to the "which
26 printer/multi-function device should I buy?" are "Hewlett Packard", "HP"
27 and "Hewlett Packard", mainly because of their linux support.
28
29 I am further impressed now that I have upgraded from the old hpoj/hpijs
30 drivers to the newer hplip drivers for my multi-function HP PSC 2210
31 printer/scanner/card reader/fax machine.
32
33 hpoj required some pretty horrible command line stuff to get the printer
34 going, very unintuitive command structure and a case of following a set
35 of disconnected web pages. Sure it worked, but needed improvement.
36
37 The new beast was easier to set up and now includes an (optional) gui.
38 Screenshot available here:
39
40 http://rout.co.nz/hp-device-mgr.png
41
42 As you can see it has various panels, the first one has buttons to
43 trigger printing (brings up a gui where you can add files then print
44 them), scan (fires up xsane), Access photo cards (its own gui giving
45 thumbnails and the ability to copy some or all to another directory
46 etc). However Send fax is not yet implemented (nor was it from windows
47 when I bought the device). The programs that are actually fired up can
48 be configured withing the gui - ie you could bring up kooka instead of
49 xsane for scanning.
50
51 There is access to the print logs, various maintanance functions, and it
52 tells you how much ink you have left.
53
54 The functionality is also available on the command line, for example
55 hp-levels returns a nice little summary of the ink levels. hp-photo is
56 an ftp like client to access the photo card reader (actually not limited
57 to photos of course, its just a regular flash card reader).
58
59 All very nicely done, plus of course there are supplied PPD files so the
60 printer can work just fine with all the normal linux printing mechanisms
61 like cups. Whats more the icon to start the gui installed itself nicely
62 in the gnome menu :-)
63
64 I also discovered in the process how to get windows to print directly to
65 cups, without samba being involved, so that was a nice bonus.
66
67 And no, HP are not paying me to write this!
68 </quote>
71 > --
72 > It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
73 > clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.
74 > Noam Chomsky
78 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list