From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:35:36
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-29 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> The way I see it, if you cannot provide a rational answer to that
5 >>> question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
6 >>> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
7 >
8 >> Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
9 >> resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason.
10 >
11 > Ok, but... everything I've read and personal experience over the years
12 > shows that space required for /usr should not change much, especially
13 > constantly grow over time (like requirements for /home can and will)-
14 > it may fluctuate (increase, decrease) *a little* over time, but it
15 > definitely should not grow substantially, so, if you had to resize it,
16 > most likely it is because you simply didn't allocate enough room to
17 > start with.
18
19 So my experience doesn't matter any then? My /usr does vary and
20 sometimes varies quite a bit. That is why I had to resize the thing.
21 Saying that I didn't make it large enough to begin with isn't the
22 point. When people use LVM, the reason they use it is so that we can
23 resize things when needed.
26 >> For me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not.
27 >
28 > Sorry, but rationality is not subjective. Just because something seems
29 > to be rational to you doesn't mean that it is.
30 >
31 > You have still not stated a logical, rational reason for wanting a
32 > separate /usr.
33
34 And what is ratinal for you, is not rational to me. Since you can
35 dismiss mine, I can dismiss yours too. Funny how that works huh? For
36 ME, it is logical/rational for me to have the setup like I have it. I
37 did it this way to speciffically avoid the init thingy and be flexible
38 when needed. If I wanted one, I would have used one when I first
39 installed Gentoo and not only that, put everything but /boot on LVM.
42 >> I am the one doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the
43 >> init thingy fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not
44 >> you.
45 >
46 > I don't want one of those things either, but that isn't what I was
47 > questioning you about.
48 >
49 > Of course you can do whatever you want *and* are technically capable
50 > of on your own computer, but that doesn't automatically make those
51 > things logical or rational.
52 >
53 > I did see one good case for a separate /usr (someone who was using
54 > ancient PATA drives, and something about striping for performance),
55 > but that was obviously a corner case...
59 You may not since you are not sitting in MY chair. My statements are
60 not trying to change the way you run your puter, but yours seem to be
61 trying to get me to change mine. I don't want to change mine when it
62 comes to adding a init thingy to the boot process. Simple as that.
63
64 Dale
65
69 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!