From: Erik Zeek <zeekec@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternative to netkit-telnetd
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:17:56
1 On Tue April 25 2006 14:46, John Jolet wrote:
2 > > I find that "rm -rf .*" works wonders for security.
3 >
4 > Now guys, someone new is going to try one of these!  :)  And we all know
5 > we've done that at one time or another.  Mine was "rm -fr /* filename"
6 >  on a running sun box. :)  during month-end processing.
7
8 Once would have been understandable, but I did mine twice (only once as
9 root though). It's fun to stare at the screen wondering why it's taken 5
10 minutes to delete two hidden directories, followed by a scream of, "OH
11 SH*T!" which is immediately followed by frantically pounding ctrl-c.
14 *******************************************
15 Dr. Erik Zeek
16 Postdoctoral Research Associate
17 Department of Physics and Astronomy
18 The University of Georgia
19 Athens, GA 30602-2451
20
21 Tel: 706-542-7293
22 Email: mailto:zeekec@×××××××××××××.com
23 Html: http://www.physast.uga.edu/~zeekec
25 Against stupidity the very gods
26 Themselves contend in vain.
27 - Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (1801)