From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: question for en_GB users of myspell-en dictionaries
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:29:50
1 »Q« <boxcars <at> gmx.net> writes:
4 > tl;dr: Is an update to the myspell-en Oxford spelling dictionary really
5 > wanted by anyone?
6
7 Oxford is known as the 'the reference' for unabridged dictionaries in
8 English (at least this is what some psychotic professors tortured us
9 with, in English 101/102 some decades ago; leather helmets, dinosaurs
10 etc)...... ymmv.
13 > If you don't know or don't care, you can safely ignore all the rest.
14
15 Well, english is my only language and I still struggle with it....
16 But way too often the crappy english/brithish/globish dictionaries
17 leave much to be desired; so yes I would emerge such a beast, particulary
18 if it is unabridged or something close.
22 > app-dicts/myspell-en-20081002 works, but newer, better
23 > dictionaries are available. It's maintainer-wanted, so I'm taking
24 > a crack at an update.
25
26 Ok, good news...
29 > My constraints are that I must leverage myspell-r2 and must use
30 > dictionaries that have been rolled up into LO/AOO extensions (OXTs).
31 > That path is extremely clear and easy, whereas all other paths are
32 > polished cliffs to this newbie.
33
34 > The issue is that I can only find one one OXT which provides Oxford
35 > spelling.⃰ I can install it, but it makes hunspell throw errors which
36 > make me think there's something inherently wrong with the files.
37 > So, is an update to the Oxford spelling dictionary really wanted by
38 > anyone?
39
40 YES I hope it is available system wide for a variety of apps?
41
42 > If so, I will try to get a dev to help me accommodate you. If not, you
43 > can just keep using the 2008 dictionary and I can rest.
44
45 Strangely, folks that hack around with fonts are often knowledgeable about
46 literal_centric apps, ymmv. I find the current dictionaries often inadequate.
50 http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/projectrelease/english-dictionary-based-oxford-english-dictionary-103
54 hth,
55 James