From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the dmix equivalent these days?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:44:06
1 On Monday 26 February 2007 22:02, b.n. wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
3 > > On Sunday 25 February 2007, Mick wrote:
4 > >> Hi All,
5 > >>
6 > >> It seems that when Amarok is playing, all system sounds are put on
7 > >> hold. Once I close Amarok then all system (KDE) notifications
8 > >> suddenly sound at once!
9 > >>
10 > >> How do I figure out what's wrong and how should I fix it?
11 > >
12 > > One word:
13 > >
14 > > arts
15 > >
16 > > It's an abomination that should not be suffered to live. Disable it,
17 > > switch it off, consign it to hell for all eternity.
18 >
19 > You can also compile all of kde switching off the "alsa" use flag.
20
21 Did you mean to say "arts"? I thought that this was required to be able to
22 play KDE system notifications?
23
24 I checked again my settings. I have enabled the Sound System in Kcontrol, but
25 have set it to use alsa. However, under System Notifications I used to
26 have /usr/bin/aplay as the external sound player (under Audio Player
27 settings). Since aplay was hard masked a long time ago, I switched back
28 to 'KDE sound system' which I believe is using Arts. I recall dmix playing
29 nicely with arts by mixing system notification sounds with alsa. From your
30 messages I assume that although alsa deals with software mixing all on its
31 own it does not mix in nicely with Arts.
32
33 Since aplay is hard masked, what external player should I use? What other
34 options are there to be able to play system notifications, if I want to keep
35 alsa?
36
37 Thanks for your responses.
38 --