From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:08:07
1 On Mon, Oct 24 2011, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > On Oct 24, 2011 7:21 PM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Now, lack of DMA is another story for hard disks, certainly. Here's
6 >> where my ignorance of hardware limits my thinking:
7 >>
8 >> AFAIK the device driver *always* sits between the disk drive and the
9 >> DMA hardware, doesn't it?
10 >
11 > DMA means a device is told where in the system's address space it may write
12 > to, and it writes directly to that place without further CPU involvement.
13 > Since drivers run on the CPU, the drivr isn't a go-between.
14 >
15 > When the CPU *is* involved in the passing of bits around, things slow down.
16 > IIRC, that's called PIO--programmed IO.
17
18 Correct. DMA stands for direct memory access; the device has direct
19 access to the memory. PIO is indeed the name when the CPU acts as a go
20 between.
21
22 allan