From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to match kernel and udev/lvm2 ?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:54:01
1 edit: didn't get through at first try?
2
3 -
4
5 *WARNING* ---- old stuff mentioned, pls don't say "get up to date"
6
7 ;-)
8
9 ------------>
10
11 greets,
12
13 another special question today:
14
15 I had an issue w/ a customer server yesterday.
16
17 It still runs kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 due to the fact that they still
18 run vmware-server-1.0.8.126538 and the related modules.
19
20 Back then I figured out that newer vmware-modules wouldn't compile w/
21 newer kernels ... and so on.
22
23 In fact they don't want to spend money on upgrading (vmware-server etc)
24 because there will be a new and shiny server later this year.
25
26 -
27
28 But the guy asked me if we could swap harddrives to add space, and
29 increase the LVM volume group etc.
30
31 I said yes .. and upgraded stuff like udev and lvm2 a few weeks ago,
32 just in case and to have the latest releases. It hit us yesterday when
33 he swapped a fan and at reboot udev didn't create proper sdX and mdX
34 devices anymore ...
35
36 So I had to downgrade udev and lvm2 again to fit that ancient kernel. I
37 used genlop to check which versions were installed at the time the last
38 successful boot had happened.
39
40 Right now I have:
41
42 sys-fs/udev-124-r2
43
44 sys-fs/lvm2-2.02-56-r2
45
46 yep, old.
47
48 The question: how to find out (without much trial and error) which
49 releases of udev and lvm2 are the best/newest to use with that kernel?
50
51 I don't want too much old bugs in the box on one hand while on the other
52 hand I have to mask pkgs to keep it running.
53
54 Maybe one of you has a hint for me.
55
56 Thanks in advance, best regards, Stefan