From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] For those who complain
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:44:21
1 For those who complain about default portage behavior:
2 It changes constantly. If you can't accept the bleeding edge behavior,
3 you're probably using the wrong distro. There are always going to be
4 changes. Some you don't like, some you say "oh gosh, finally!". For
5 the latter, I cheer, for former, I work around. EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS is
6 your friend.
7
8 For those who complain about not knowing something was
9 added/removed/changed. Most packages do a decent job of providing good
10 ChangeLogs, either from Gentoo or upstream. It's not Gentoo's
11 responsibility to make you read them. It's like reading the fine print.
12 Yet you can't complain that it's not there if it's in the fine print.
13 Some say there should be more "announcements" for changes, yet others
14 say there are too many announcements and important stuff gets lost. One
15 man's trash is another man's treasure. There just doesn't exist a sweet
16 spot that will satisfy everyone.
17
18 For those who complain about man pages being too cryptic/incomplete/etc.
19 Man pages have pretty much always been designed to be reference manuals.
20 The key word is "reference". They are not guides, they are not
21 tutorials. They are more suited for "I know this library provides a
22 function to do *this* but I don't know the function's signature". They
23 are less suited for "I don't know how to do *this*". There are other
24 resources for the latter. And if there are not, that's not the fault of
25 the man page. But in my experience, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this,
26 most people who complain about man pages are those who don't bother, or
27 at least put *very* little effort, to *read* the man pages.
28
29 For those who complain "Why do I have to compile all this stuff to get
30 X?": Why are you using Gentoo?
31
32 For those who complain about bugs/regressions: Why do you use software?
33
34 For those who complain about software/features needed/unwanted/changed
35 in a way you disagree with: Where is your patch?
36
37 For those who have genuine technical questions; for those who can
38 provide answers to those questions w/o being overly critical; for those
39 who give back by submitting bug reports, patches, ideas, praise: Thank
40 you.
41
42 Gentoo is a rainbow with no end and no pot of gold.
43
44 -a