From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:59:24
1 Am 14.08.2012 19:21, schrieb Jason Weisberger:
2 > Sure, but wouldn't compression make write operations slower? And isn't he
3 > looking for performance?
4 > On Aug 14, 2012 1:14 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
7 >> On Aug 14, 2012 11:42 PM, "Helmut Jarausch" <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
8 >> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>> On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
13 >>>>> features like reiser4 or xfs
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
16 >>>> Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
17 >>>> http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
18 >>>>
19 >>>> The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
20 >>>> else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
21 >>>> RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
22 >>>> difference anyways.
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's
26 >> used by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
27 >>> Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
28 >> that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
29 >>> much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4
30 >> partition, savings with the root partition are even higher).
31 >>>
32 >>> I'm using the mount options
33 >> compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a recent
34 >> kernel.
35 >>>
36 >>> I'd give it a try.
37 >>>
38 >>> Helmut.
39 >>>
40 >>
41 >> Are the support tools for btrfs (fsck, defrag, etc.) already complete?
42 >>
43 >> If so, I certainly would like to take it out for a spin...
44 >>
45 >> Rgds,
50 I have enough cpu power at hand for compression, I guess that should not
51 be the issue. But the cache dir mostly consists of prescaled jpeg
52 images, so compressing them again would not give me any benefits, speed-
53 or size-wise.