From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dimon@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + KDE + pulseaudio + ? == happiness
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:08:09
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 not trying to stir up a flamewar about pulseaudio viability etc. I want
4 to make my setup work *with* the pulseaudio, but I feel like I'm missing
5 something. So I'd rather avoid comments "don't use it then" if at all
6 possible.
7
8 What I have:
9 Gentoo + KDE-4.4.5 + pulseaudio-0.9.21.1
10
11 How I use it:
12 In KDE I've got Xine backend setup for playback (if I use gstreamer I
13 get higher frequency of problems popping up, see below).
14
15 Problems I see:
16 Whenever any app tries to use KDE sound notification system I have a
17 good chance of sound becoming garbled in Amarok (while listening to the
18 music), heck even non-KDE apps like Skype would work fine until
19 something else decides to use sound device (like gnash/lighspark, etc.).
20 Chances of getting garbled sound are 50/50 - it's never a guarantee:
21 sometimes it works - sometimes it "crashes". To get sound back I have to
22 restart app (Skype, Firefox, Amarok, etc.).
23
24 How I configured it:
25 $ cat /etc/asound.conf
26 # as per http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#ALSAApplications
27 # we're using pulseaudio for everything now...
28 #
29 pcm.pulse {
30 type pulse
31 }
32
33 ctl.pulse {
34 type pulse
35 }
36
37 pcm.!default {
38 type pulse
39 }
40
41 ctl.!default {
42 type pulse
43 }
44
45 $ cat ~/.asoundrc
46 pcm.hda-intel {
47 type hw
48 card 0
49 }
50
51 ctl.hda-intel {
52 type hw
53 card 0
54 }
55
56 I've been living with above problems for a while now not having much
57 time to investigate and writing it off as immaturity of stack, but it
58 was out for quite a while and obviously people use it with better rate
59 of success (judging by online resources).
60
61 My HW looks like this:
62 $ cat /proc/asound/cards
63 0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
64 HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 20
65 2 [U0x46d0x809 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x809
66 USB Device 0x46d:0x809 at usb-0000:00:02.1-2, high
67 speed
68
69 (second device is a Logitec's USB WebCam).
70
71 I realize it may be a question more geared toward pulseaudio community
72 but I'd rather find out whether there's something Gentoo-specific I'm
73 missing first.