From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: redoing grub-2 after emerge updates it
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 17:03:11
1 On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 07 Jul 2017 11:49:11 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >> Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> writes:
4 >>
5 >> [...]
6 >>
7 >> > If you want to use the new version to boot your system, you should
8 >> > re-run grub-install, which will copy the modules to /boot/grub and
9 >> > will install the core image to your MBR or EFI system partition.
10 >>
11 >> Thanks for the info.
12 >>
13 >> I don't know what the update was but since its easy enough to run
14 >> `grub-install /dev/sda' and I guess also run
15 >> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
16 >>
17 >> Anyway, I did those two things... just being on the safe side.
18 >
19 > As has already stated you could stay put with your old version, provided you
20 > have no specific reason to stop using it. GRUB2 can be installed and left
21 > unused. I guess from a usability perspective as long as you have no need to
22 > employ GRUB2's new functionality/features, main difference between GRUB legacy
23 > and GRUB2 can be boiled down to what you need to do each time you install a
24 > new kernel.
25 >
26 > With GRUB legacy you edit on your own your /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the
27 > name and version of your newly installed kernel and initrd (if you use one of
28 > these).
29 >
30 > With GRUB2 you run a single command line and leave it to GRUB2's scripts to
31 > scan your boot and other drives, discover their contents and auto-complete
32 > /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
33
34 Harry made no mention of GRUB Legacy in his original email. I assume
35 he was upgrading from grub-2.02~beta3 to grub-2.02.
36
37 Also, it is perfectly acceptable to hand-write your GRUB2
38 configuration file; grub-mkconfig is not mandatory. It's just often
39 easier for new users with simple boot configurations, or for people
40 who don't want to worry about hand-editing the config for every kernel
41 upgrade.