From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -pv mplayer questions
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:29:13
1 Hi,
2 maxim wexler wrote:
3 >
4 > --- Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>On 9/18/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >><SNIP>
9 >>
10 >>>flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
11 >>
12 >>cx8
13 >>
14 >>>apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx
15 >>
16 >>fxsr
17 >>
18 >>>sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
19 >>
20 >><SNIP>
21 >>
22 >>So Walter's point would be that you could add
23 >>
24 >>mmx mmxext sse sse2 3dnow 3dnowext
25 >>
26 >>to your use flags, either globally in your make.conf
29 > what about all those others?
30 >
31 Look at gcc-home page, think there's plenty of info, also this theme is
32 regularly discussed here (ML), search the archives.
33 Shortly said, use "-O2 -march.../-mtune... -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
34 is a safe choice. It (-O2) includes many of the other flags by default.
35 >
36 >>file or for
37 >>specific packages in package.use. Adding these flags
38 >>will enable clode
39 >>within the program being emerged specifically
40 >>supporting those
41 >>features.
42 >>
43 >>My point was that without adding these flags to the
44 >>compile options
45 >>(CXFLAGS) in make.conf I'm not clear that adding the
48 > well, are they CXFLAGS or USE flags?
49 >
50 They are distinct - CFLAGS (CXXFLAGS) are the raw CPU flags, while
51 through USE= you can activate some of them too, but only those that have
52 such USE flags (mmx,sse,3dnow etc). Corrections here, somebody?
53 >
54 >>flags in the USE
55 >>section of make.conf does anything to generate
56 >>actual sse or mmx code.
57 >>
58 >>I'd like to hear from some folks who really
59 >>understand how gcc works
60 >>about this. It's confused me for quite awhile.
61 >>
62 >>Thanks,
63 >>Mark
64 >>
65 >>--
66 >>gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
73 > Do You Yahoo!?
74 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
75 > http://mail.yahoo.com
76 PS: just to mention i use custom CFLAGS (per category/per package) and
77 didn't have any problems so far, but not too aggressively (bashrc).
78 HTH. Rumen
79 --
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list