From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] after installing and running Xorg, my LCD colors in text mode are all wrong
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:45:17
1 Willie Wong ha scritto:
2 > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 01:42:22PM -0500, Denis wrote:
3 >> I just installed Xorg on the older Dell machine, for which I have a
4 >> 17-inch Sony LCD screen. Before I did anything with X, my screen
5 >> colors were just like I'm used to. Now, I fired up X, got it to work
6 >> fine, and the colors are fine, but then I kill X and go back to text
7 >> mode, and the colors in text mode are all wrong, like I'm using a
8 >> dying CRT that's not firing right. I go back to X, and the colors are
9 >> fine again. Back to text mode - same deal. Is X setting some
10 >> variable wrong when it shuts off, or do I need to tweak something?
11 >> Using manual controls on the LCD menu don't help at all. Anyone run
12 >> into this before and might know what to do about this?
13 >
14 > Maybe the video card?
15 >
16 > I had something similar to this happening on my desktop with an old
17 > nvidia card. Throughout the years, shutting down X may give one of the
18 > following:
19 >
20 > a) business as usual, nothing wrong.
21 > b) the computer thinking the screen is bigger than it actually is:
22 > the upper left corner is okay, but the 3 right most columns and the
23 > bottom row (of my 80x25 text display) is off the screen. The text is a
24 > bit bigger than it ought to be.
25 > c) blank screen. The computer still responds: I can "type" xinit
26 > without seeing anything and get back into an X session. Just nothing
27 > is displayed on the screen.
28 > d) funky colors on the screen, which may also accompany b).
29 >
30 > I never did figure out what is wrong. The behaviour is transient: if I
31 > just start X again, and then shut-off, it not always give the same
32 > problem. I suspect it is the video card because I remember noting that
33 > it behaved better after a certain version of nVidia driver. But I
34 > can't be certain because the bug is awfully un-reproducible.
35 >
36 > This probably doesn't help much... but I just want to throw in my two
37 > cents.
38
39 Could it be funny stuff remaining in the video card memory? I've seen
40 such eerie things happen in some occasions, with ATI cards. I also
41 remember that old cards had the habit of displaying a "ghost" of the
42 last X desktop, for a fraction of a second, just when X starts.
43
44 I think it can only be driver and/or X fault.
45
46 m.