From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Qemu/KVM
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 19:20:29
1 On 5 May 2014 16:12:43 CEST, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >Am 05.05.2014 14:27, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 >> On Monday, May 05, 2014 01:25:52 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 >>> Am 05.05.2014 11:14, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
5 >>>> That will take some time. Earliest moment I might have the time
6 >would be
7 >>>> June as I need to find a decent howto on setting up KVM along with
8 >>>> libvirt on a test system.
9 >>>
10 >>> I do that for a living :-P
11 >>
12 >> In that case, got a decent howto?
13 >
14 >not really ...
15 >
16 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU
17 >
18 >http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KvmOnGentoo
19 >
20 >for a start ... but I pull my howto together from various sources.
21 >
22 >basically compile KVM support into your kernel, set QEMU-variables in
23 >make.conf ... emerge qemu ... then libvirt with USE="qemu" ... it isn't
24 >that hard to make it work (at least now that I did it 10 times or so).
25 >
26 >Stefan
27
28 Thanks.
29
30 I find Xen easy to set up as well. For the same reason (done it several times).
31
32 What I really need is a VM server with a decent frontend (multiplatform and where I can specify which user can access which VM and have some restrictions on network settings for new VMs)
33 And where I can specify fast (SSD) stprage for the memory snapshots and normal (Spinning) storage for the disks (Using LVM or ZFS snapshots)
34
35 I might end up writing my own frontend, but libvirt would then be a usefull API.
38 Joost
39 --
40 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.