From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flashing hardware via WINE ?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:57:23
1 On 03/19 09:37, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:09:51 +0100
3 > schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
4 >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I have a smart NiMH-charger with serial port (normally used to
8 > > dump chargeing curves to the PC).
9 > > The chargers firmware can bei flashed with a flashtool provided
10 > > by the vendor. The communication is via serial port. I have
11 > > a PCI=>serial.ports-card installed in my PC.
12 > >
13 > > The command
14 > >
15 > > file <flashing tool>
16 > >
17 > > results in this information
18 > >
19 > > PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
20 > >
21 > > . As Linux user by heart I have no Windows.
22 > >
23 > > May the attempt to install wine and use it for this purpose
24 > > a thinkable way or are the precoditions that way, that it
25 > > is due to those a NO-NO...?
26 >
27 > Flashing via serial port should be no problem from within Wine. It
28 > requires no special driver implementation.
29 >
30 > However, if the hardware implements its own driver behind the serial
31 > port, it won't work anyways because on the Wine side there will be no
32 > such driver.
33 >
34 > So I think, it should either work or fail early without doing damage.
37 > > Does anyone have experience with such an attempt?
38 >
39 > I'm usually doing such things from VirtualBox by passing through the
40 > hardware (usually USB, that's easily done from within the GUI).
41 >
42 > VirtualBox can also pass COM ports to the VM. You may want to try that
43 > as a second chance.
46 > --
47 > Regards,
48 > Kai
49 >
50 > Replies to list-only preferred.
51
52 Hi Kai (that's a rhyme! :)
53
54 I have installed Virtualbox already and use the Linux Image I
55 installed there for banking purposes only. Feels more secure.
56
57 I would prefer the WIndows-in-a-(virtual)box-solution) as you
58 do -- if I would own a Windows installation disc. But do not.
59
60 But it is good to know, that the wine-workaround would either
61 work or fail too early to damage anything.
62
63 Is there anything important to know before doing an emerge
64 of wine (need I more than app-emulation/wine?) -- I have
65 literally no experience with this emulator - the flashing
66 tool is a 32bit gui application...) ???
67
68 Cheers
69 Meino