From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Using an old kernel .config as the basis for a new .config
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 00:58:59
1 Am Thu, 28 Dec 2017 15:05:04 -0500 schrieb Jack:
2
3 > On 2017.12.28 14:52, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >> Hello, Gentoo.
5 >>
6 >> Having just built linux-4.14.7-gentoo, suddenly a new version of the
7 >> kernel, linux-4.14.8-gentoo-r1 has become stable. Configuring a kernel
8 >> from scratch is a repetitive drudge.
9 >>
10 >> There is some way of initialising a new kernel .config from an existing
11 >> one, I am sure, but I can't find it. I've looked at the Gentoo wiki,
12 >> I've looked at (some of) the kernel's own documentation. The nearest I
13 >> can find is make oldconfig, which supposedly does what I want, but it
14 >> just seems to start off with a default .config and go through the
15 >> hundreds of questions one at a time.
16 >>
17 >> So, would some kind soul please tell me how to get my old .config into
18 >> a new one properly. Thanks!
19 >
20 > You need to copy your old .config into the new kernel source directory.
21 > "make oldconfig" then uses those values, and only asks you about new
22 > items. It sounds like it was asking about everything because it didn't
23 > have the old file as a starting point - so was starting from scratch.
24
25 You actually even don't have to copy the old config file as long as the
26 currently running system provides the config you want to migrate.
27
28 You can just run
29
30 # make oldconfig
31
32 and it will figure out the config, looking at the current directory
33 first. It will then interactively ask for each new config option. You can
34 type "?" at each step to get a description. This is the way I do it.
35
36 I only copy a .config file if I want a specific known base configuration.
37
38 You can then run
39
40 # make menuconfig
41
42 to further fine-tune your decisions, or
43
44 # make localmodconfig
45
46 to disable modules not currently loaded. You should double-check it
47 didn't disable important stuff. Take a backup of .config first, then run
48 a diff. If in doubt, leave an option enabled as module.
51 # make olddefconfig
52
53 Doesn't ask questions but instead uses defaults. I wouldn't recommend
54 this if you are already running optimized manual configs.
57 There are many more (and interesting ones), have a look at
58
59 # make help
62 You can also "emerge -a kergen" and let it build a .config based on and
63 optimized for your hardware, tho it didn't work too well for me. You may
64 want to double check what it does, and then manually change the config.
65 You can also use it to migrate configs between kernel upgrades.
69 Regards,
70 Kai
71
72 Replies to list-only preferred.