From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost free space on /
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:43:43
1 On Friday 12 June 2009, 12:58, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > The original question was "how big should /var be?" and the correct
4 > answer to that question is "mu" (google it)
5 >
6 > If we had the output of "df -h" and "du -sh /var/*" plus a description
7 > of what the machine actually does, some general advice could be given
8 > to the OP. As it stands with the information given, the only useful
9 > answer is "you'll have to work that out yourself" which is what I said
10 > right back at the beginning.
11
12 The OP might be a newbie with little or no idea of how things work in a
13 mailing list like this. Instead of the "you'll have to work that out
14 yourself" answer, which is a correct answer strictly speaking, but not
15 very useful to the OP, one could have asked "can you provide more
16 information on this and that, so people can help you better? And please,
17 in the future, remember that the more information you provide, the
18 better answer you are likely to get." (which, btw, is what you did
19 anyway in later replies). That would be a more useful answer imho,
20 because it will educate (or try to educate) the OP a little more, which
21 hopefully will result in him asking questions in a better way in the
22 future.
23
24 Just my 2c.