From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:37:11
1 2013/8/28 Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
2
3 > Am 27.08.2013 22:40, schrieb Francisco Ares:
4 > >>
5 > >> I think I might have found it. Although I have selected in the kernel
6 > >> "menuconfig" to compress the initramfs using gzip and deselected all
7 > other
8 > >> decompression forms. a simple "file initramfs-xxx" told me that it was
9 > "XZ
10 > >> compressed data", so now I am rebuilding the kernel with all
11 > decompression
12 > >> algorithms built in.
13 > >>
14 > >> I will (hope) soon post the results.
15 > >>
16 > >> Thanks,
17 > >> Francisco
18 > >>
21 > > It did not work :-(
24 > You could try generating an initramfs with dracut - see if that works.
25 > You possible have to change the name of the initramfs in grub.cfg. Files
26 > generated with dracut don't have *genkernel* in it's filename.
27 >
28 > If you can boot with dracut initramfs, you can investigate why the
29 > initramfs of genkernel does not work.
32 Thanks, Michael, gonna read about dracut and try it out.
33
34 Right now "gentoo-sources-3.10.7" is being built, still using genkernel (I
35 was using gentoo-sources-3.8.13).
36
37 Meanwhile: the profile for this new install is
38 "default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib" - and I see that the directory where
39 grub2 stores modules in /boot/grub2 is named "i386-pc". Switching to a
40 multilib profile and issuing an "emerge -pvuDN world", I see that, for
41 instance, glibc is queued to be rebuilt with "multilib" use flag.
42
43 What I mean is: does genkernel uses the binaries already available in the
44 filesystem it works on, or does it build its own ones? If so, is genkernel
45 + grub2 compatible with a "no-multilib" profile? I guess so, specially
46 after reading grub2 documentation, but, on the other hand, in a working
47 system, I could see that busybox from the initramfs (thanks, Neil!) and the
48 one in the root filesystem are different.
49
50 Thanks again!
51 Francisco