From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help tuning distcc
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:07:20
1 On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 14:05 -0400, John Blinka wrote:
2 > Hi, all,
3 >
4 > I run Gentoo on a very old 150 mhz pentium laptop. As you can imagine,
5 > it's painful to update Gentoo packages on it. I've been attempting
6 > to use distcc and crossdev so that the more more modern i686 machines on my
7 > local network can do most of the compiling for this i586 box. However,
8 > I haven't been very successful in offloading its compilations to the faster
9 > boxes:
10
11 [snip]
12
13 > fast_box_1/2 fast_box_2/2 localhost/1
14
15 looks good to me. just remember:
16
17 1. not every ebuild can use parallel compilation - some have it disabled
18 because it causes compiler errors - they override MAKEOPTS to -j1
19
20 2. I think an ebuild may be able to over-ride the distcc setting (not
21 sure) which would make all 5 jobs run locally - again because of
22 problems when it's enabled
23
24 3. ./configure scripts can only happen locally - sometimes there are
25 compiles or at least CPU intensive tasks going on here (esp if you have
26 a slow cpu)
27
28 so unfortunately, distcc doesn't speed _every_ compile up by drastic
29 amounts, but when it does - it does!
30
31 HTH,
35 Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
36 be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.
37 (Unknown source)
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list