From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Full system encryption on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 12:01:22
1 On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 08:22:22PM -0500, Alex Corkwell wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:34:52AM +1000, Hans wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Is it possible to fully encrypt a Gentoo system as can be done with
6 > > Fedora, Suse, Arch Linux, Debian and Ubunto without using a unencrypted
7 > > USB boot stick or unencrypted /boot partition?
8 > >
9 > > If yes, where can I find instructions that really work on a BIOS only
10 > > box without UEFI, EFI, systemd using EXT4 file system?
11 > >
12 > > Hans
13 >
14 > I can confirm that it's entirely possible, as I've managed to do it with
15 > my laptop.
16 > I don't remember exactly how I did everything, but here are the main
17 > points of my setup.
18 > […]
19
20 Thank you very much for this documentation. I was about to start a thread
21 with this topic myself because I’m in the market for a new laptop before too
22 soon. But Hans beat me to it.
23 Since I will install an after-market SSD in it, I want to encrypt
24 everything. With a little luck, your information is all I need. I will
25 practice it in a VM.
26
27 @Neil:
28 you seem to know your way around booting with EFI. I don’t suppose you could
29 add your mustard (as we say here-abouts) regarding booting an encrypted
30 system with an EFI bootloader. I was hoping to quicken my boot procedure
31 because Grub seems slow to load and I find its UI to be not very responsive.
32
33 Cheers
34 --
35 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
36 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
37
38 You can’t fire me, slaves must be sold.