From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Accessing a Samsung phone and it's data.
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 15:50:43
1 On 2019.08.08 03:47, james wrote:
2 > On 7/31/19 2:21 PM, Jack wrote:
3 > > On 2019.07.31 12:25, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > >> On 2019-07-30 22:44, Dale wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>> I wonder, if I bought a bluetooth USB thingy and put that on my
7 > >>> puter, would that help any? Since I hooked up my wifi router and
8 > it
9 > >>> uses that, would that help? Or is the USB cable directly connected
10 > >>> the best way?
11 > >>
12 > >> I have a USB to BT adaptor.? It's worse than paperweight: I could
13 > >> never make it work on gentoo, or any other kind of Linux.? I think
14 > it
15 > >> might be like the infamous Winmodems of old, requiring a
16 > proprietary
17 > >> driver to do anything at all.
18 > >
19 > > I have one that works just fine.? It shows up with lsusb as:
20 > >
21 > > Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
22 > Bluetooth
23 > > Dongle (HCI mode)
24 > >
25 > > I ordered it online, for not much money, but I'd have to dig to see
26 > if I
27 > > still have any records of where I ordered it.? (eBay is likely)? I'd
28 > > also have to do some digging to see if I needed to modify my kernel
29 > > config to add anything for it.? So far, I have only used it for a
30 > > headset, and I know I went through a number of trials and errors
31 > before
32 > > getting it to work consistently, but it does work fine.
33 > >
34 > > Jack
38 > Hello Jack,
39 >
40 > Not sure this device would work for you; but if your phone has a
41 > type-C
42 > port, it be interesting to try. For that matter, I'm not sure it will
43 > work with linux (Gentoo, RHEL, *buntu....) But it sure looks
44 > promising.
45 >
46 > https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-3USB3-0-Multiport-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B07DHQ2X8Z
47 >
48 > hth,
49 > James
50
51 Thanks, but I have no need for anything like that (nor does my phone
52 [not a Samsung] have a USB-C port) but perhaps for Dale?