From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MAC Pro eSATA Card
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:29:32
1 On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 00:04 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 14 Sep 2009, at 08:20, Matthias Langer wrote:
3 >
4 > > Has anyone here experiences with eSATA Cards for a MAC Pro running
5 > > Gentoo? I've already tried two cards ([1], [2]). Both work fine in
6 > > connection with normal PC hardware, but they are not recognized by the
7 > > kernel (or even lspci) on the MAC Pro.
8 >
9 > Hi Matt,
10 >
11 > I'm not an expert on the vagaries of MacPro hardware, which after all
12 > uses EFI instead of a BIOS, but are you using the same kernel
13 > configuration with the MacPro as you are on the PC that is working?
14
15 As far as the eSATA Cards are affected the configuration should be
16 identical. I fear that it has something to do with EFI.
17
18 > I would *expect* these to work. Is it possible you're using a kernel
19 > that's configured specifically for Mac hardware, and that merely omits
20 > the drivers for card. I'd really expect that compiling in the modules
21 > for the cards would make them work.
24 Unfortunately it doesn't. I've manually loaded the module that is
25 responsible for the card on ordinary PC hardware on the MAC - without
26 success.
27
28 > We can perhaps be more help if you post the .config (`zcat /proc/
29 > config.gz > file`) for both machines & the output of `dmesg` (with the
30 > cards fitted).
33 I'm going to do this on the weekend, as right now, I don't have physical
34 access to the box I'm talking about, and the eSATA card is currently not
35 built in.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Matthias