From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Running a program on a headless computer ?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:37:13
1 <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > I want to run programs, which insist on haveing a terminal
5 > to write their status to and which are writing files which
6 > their results on a headless computer (beaglebone).
7 > Is there any neat trick to accomplish what I am trying to do here?
8
9 > mcc
10
11 Hello meino,
12
13 Back when dinosaurs (like me) roamed the halls of academia,
14 we use to send things out the serial console, to something
15 like a VT100 "dumb terminal" both the video and the keyboard
16 would attached to the computer's serial port. You could just
17 power down the display for weeks at a time, and power it up
18 to see what activity was currently being piped to the standard
19 output.....
20
21 If you can find an old "VT100" or ibm or other brands (can't remember the
22 names, but dec, HP and many others made them" that will work.
23
24 I've also have a home built "serial data analyzer" that plugs
25 into a serial port, for a blazing 19,200 buad 2 line ascii serial
26 terminal, but it is buried somewhere in my lab.....
27
28 I have even piped things out one seria console l port (on a headless system)
29 into the serial port of another pc (usually crossing 2 & 3 pins
30 in some from of a "null modem". In fact at one point I has many serial
31 ports on one pc brining in console outputs from many headless Sun servers,
32 for logging. Some "night-mare" I inherited as a graduate student,
33 back when the gasses where coalescing......
34
35 Thanks for the trip down memory lane......
36
37 hth,
38 James
39