From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:52:43
1 On Saturday 11 April 2015 21:27:39 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Why don't you just start again from scratch, following the official docs?
4 > > You don't need to override every little setting; portage knows best, just
5 > > like your Ma. Use the force...
6 >
7 > Well, emptytree world seems to be working so far, the official diagnosis
8 > is a long-forgotten hack of a work-around to a problem that I must have
9 > been dealing with more than two years ago.
10
11 The only snag will be finding and removing all those ancient files lying around
12 and maybe confusing you in, e.g., /etc. That's why I suggested a clean start.
13
14 Actually, I think there's another reason to prefer a clean start: if it's over
15 two years since you played with the system, going through the installation
16 process again would be a good refresher. You could even be a tester of the new
17 documents. ;)
20 Rgds
21 Peter