From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub and multiple distros on LVM [was duplicate gentoo system ...]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:20:50
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 08:53:02 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >
4 >> I *think* the grub volume itself has to be plain, no lvm, mdadm etc. All
5 >> the stuff for that is in the initramfs, so grub loads the initramfs,
6 >> starts the kernel, the kernel starts pid 1 which can now start mdadm,
7 >> lvm etc, and then it can pivot root onto the proper root filesystem.
8 > That was my thinking, that the kernel/initramfs was reading the LVs but
9 > Grant mentioned the lvm module for GRUB so I broke the habit of a
10 > lifetime and read the man page :-O
11 >
12 > "GRUB 2 can read files directly from LVM and RAID devices."
17 That makes it sound like /boot could be on LVM to me.  That sound right
18 to you?  If so, I'd bet /, root, could be on LVM and grub be able to
19 boot without a lot of extra effort.  It may even do so without a init
20 thingy, if one doesn't need it.
21
22 If that is all doable, almost makes me want to move my OS to a new drive
23 and use LVM for everything.  That would be really nice.  Might be the
24 best thing since sliced bread and frozen pizza.  ROFL
25
26 Dale
27
29
30 P. S.  I been meaning to ask this for ages now.  What happened to our
31 other Allan?  I think he was from Africa or something and admin'd a
32 bunch of puters there.  McKinnon or something like that was the past
33 name.  I haven't seen him post in a long time.  I hope he is OK and all.