From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: depclean / db & php loop
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:43:52
1 On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> ...
4 >>    If it matters this is a PPC Mac Mini used as a MythTV backend
5 >> server...
6 >
7 > Oops, I forgot to ask:
8 >
9 > It may be very important -- but I don't have a clue what a MythTV
10 > server does or what packages it depends on.
11 >
12 > Does your server use something like Apache/php to do the serving,
13 > and do you really need php to do it?
14
15 MythTV is digital video recording software, allowing
16 watching/recording of things through a tv tuner card, and even
17 pause/resume of a 'live stream'.
18
19 It's heavily dependent on mysql, as I recall, and has the option to
20 use Apache+PHP to serve up a web based interface, MythWeb, as is
21 mentioned in the OPs reply to your question. It, however, doesn't use
22 php's ability to interface with berkley db in any way I'm aware of, so
23 it should safe to merely rebuild php without the berkdb use flag, then
24 remove the db package.
27 Poison [BLX]
28 Joshua M. Murphy
29
30 p.s. - for the OP, php is a scripting language that's most commonly
31 used to provide dynamic web content, and as MythWeb is written in
32 php... ;)