From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why gentoo doesn't have long description?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:12:28
1 For me, bottom posting is not netiquette but a total pitta. It wastes
2 time and effort in reading mail on the mail readers I use. It was
3 originally used by the first text mode readers and seems to be mainly
4 inertia, continued by the design of mainly text based based readers
5 (pine/mutt and the like) for its continued use. With graphical readers
6 like evolution and outlook, who position their cursor at the start of a
7 message, its a real pain. So unless a topic is really interesting, or
8 properly trimmed I solve the problem by "bottom post > /dev/null".
9
10 Of far more use is intelligent trimming. Far too many people dont
11 correctly trim their mail which keeps both groups happy. If it fits on
12 one screen, there's no reason both groups cant co-exist.
13
14 Lastly, top/bottom posting is a religion so you are unlikely to change
15 either groups opinion, but just cause angst.
16
17 flames > /dev/null
18
19 BillK