From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Power supply with no -5v rail?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:40:04
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:08, Mike Huber wrote:
3 >
4 >> By rail you mean a connection to the motherboard right? The power supply
5 >> itself has a 5v rail, which is delivered to the drives. Correct me if I'm
6 >> wrong, but that's my understanding.
9 > there is 5V and there is -5V.
10 >
11 > 5V is needed for io stuff (like the drives), -5V was used for the ISA slots.
12 >
13 > When the ATX standard was created, one of the 20pins/21cables was -5V.
14 >
15 > Since -5V is not needed anymore, it was dropped some time ago. The connector
16 > is still 20pins 'wide', but one of them is empty.
19 That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to
20 blow something up here. I sure do like this new power supply though.
21
22 Thanks
23
24 Dale