From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old EEE PC 1000
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:54:36
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:05:44 -0700 Joseph wrote:
4 > I have an old Asus EEE PC 1000 and I don't think it will run Gentoo, it would be too slow to compile anything.
5 > It is running Ubuntu 11.10 and I think I'll need to re-install lighter version of Linux on it.
6 > What are my alternatives?
7
8 Just use Gentoo. I have an EeePC 1000H and it runs fine.
9
10 Well, I replaced memory bank with 2GB one and setup my system to
11 be slightly overclocked (1700 MHz) when on AC power using SHE
12 technology (available in linux kernel). But even without memory
13 upgrade hardware is fine.
14
15 > I'll would like to run VPN, some browser on it and skype.
16
17 VPNs are lightweight packages (e.g. openvpn). Both firefox and
18 chromium are not a problem. Skype is binary only, so no difference
19 from other distributions here.
20
21 The only real problem with this hardware are @world updates. To
22 facilitate this process use ccache and distcc. You most likely have
23 another more powerful box (e.g. a desktop or more powerful laptop),
24 so you can setup distcc there regardless of the distribution. So
25 powerful box will compile C/C++/ObjC code for you, while EeePC will
26 handle
27
28 If by some chance you have another peace of very powreful
29 hardware (e.g. 2x recent Xeon) there is another approach to follow.
30 You may export root filesystem from EeePC to that host via NFS,
31 setarch and chroot to it and run all stuff from your powerful box.
32 This way the only bottleneck will be 100 Mbps network interface,
33 which is quite bearable, especially using caching (like
34 cachefilesd).
35
36 Yet again, all these tricks are required for @world updates only,
37 for other stuff EeePC is self sufficient box.
38
39 Best regards,
40 Andrew Savchenko