From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 4.14.7 no longer switches to VT7
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 00:23:48
1 On 21/12/2017 17:41, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > after the update and installation of gentoo-sources-4.14.7 my two machines no longer switch to SDDM on
5 > VT7, it stays on VT1. However, I can switch manually using CTRL-ALT-7 to SDDM and login as usual. If I boot
6 > with the last stable kernel 4.12.12 anything is back to normal and the login screen of SDDM appears directly
7 > while the rest of the modules is loaded in background.
8 >
9 > Both machines have older Radeon chips (REDWOOD and CEDAR) and I managed to load also their firmware
10 > with the new kernel 4.14.7, but there's still no automatic switch to VT7 anymore.
11 >
12 > I found nothing obvious in /var/log/messages, dmesg or Xorg.0.log. What may cause this weird behavior?
13 >
14 > Cheers,
15 > Jörg
16 >
17 >
18
19
20 It's probably a dodgy kernel point bersion, 4.14 is problematic.
21
22 Alice Ferrazzi posted this to gentoo-dev earlier today:
23
24 =====start quote=====
25 Hello,
26
27 We have recently started the stabilization of gentoo-sources-4.14.8.
28
29 Very soon we received reports regarding broken e1000e driver [1] and moved
30 to gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1.
31
32 Since then we keep receiving new problems related to 4.14.x kernel:
33
34 - IPSec is broken [2]
35
36 - Change in 4.14.9 broke nVIDIA driver [3]
37
38 - Colors on console are broken with some Radeon HD cards [4]
39
40 - BUG report on boot [5]
41
42 - Unbootable system with CONFIG_MCORE2 [6]
43
44 - ...more bugs [7]
45
46 While not all issues are present in gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 we are
47 concerned about the current stability/quality of the 4.14.x branch in
48 general and don't feel comfortable recommending 4.14.x branch for general
49 use at the moment. But that's what a stable USE flag means for most
50 Gentoo users.
51
52 So, for now, we have decided to drop gentoo-sources-4.14.x stable keywords.
53 We will keep watching 4.14 branch and once the stability/quality matches
54 our requirements we will restart stabilization.
55
56 Keep in mind: We are only dropping stable USE flags. If
57 gentoo-sources-4.14.x works for you and you want to keep it, just keyword
58 the package on your own!
59 ===== end quote=====
60
61 If you want to fix the bugs, then by all means soldier on. But if your
62 intent is to have a working system that boots, probably drop using
63 4.14.x and go back to say 4.12.x ?
64
65
66 --