From: Thomas Kear <thomas.kear@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth compatibility
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 03:18:10
1 On Thursday 02 November 2006 2:27 pm, Grant wrote:
2 > I need a wireless headset to use with my softphone. My laptop doesn't
3 > have bluetooth built-in so I need a USB bluetooth adapter and
4 > bluetooth headset. Has anyone used bluetooth with Gentoo? Should I
5 > be researching both devices' Linux compatibility, or just the adapter?
6 >
7 > - Grant
8
9 Well as already mentioned, just about any adapter should be fine. If you feel
10 like doing some research, find something with a Camridge Silicon Radio (CSR)
11 chipset, they are the most common and consequently the best supported.
12
13 As far as the headset goes, you should be fine. I use a Sony Ericsson
14 HBH-IV835 with my gentoo/amd64 pc without too many issues. The driver that
15 couples the headset to an alsa audio device is at
16 http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net
17
18 As far as ebuilds go, they are in Liquidx's dev overlay (layman -a liquidx),
19 called btsco and btsco-kernel. There is a marginally outdated but still
20 useful howto at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_use_a_bluetooth_headset
21
22 Note: you will probably want to install bluez-libs and bluez-utils 2.25, 3.7
23 opens up a whole new set of problems with the dbus pin authentication, you
24 really just don't want to go there. Your life will also be made a lot easier
25 if you install kdebluetooth or gnome-bluetooth to get a frontend for
26 configuration, device searches, file transfer (if you have a bluetooth phone
27 also), etc.
28
29 --Thomas