From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean question
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 02:05:24
1 james wrote:
2 > OK,
3 >
4 > So I just updated one of my system and all went fine.
7 > I have not cleaned things up in a while, so I thought
8 > I'd see what depclean says, know that I'm using kde4
9 > and sets.....
12 > So I get a huge list, including lots of kde-base 4.2.2 packages.
15 > Hmmm, something is not right.
16 > 'emerge -uDNvp world' reveals nothing to update, yet depclean what
17 > to remove lots of kde-base/<atom>-4.2.2 packages. Here's one example:
20 > emerge -pv depclean shows this entry
21 > <snip>
22 > kde-base/libkdegames
23 > selected: 4.2.2
24 > protected: none
25 > omitted: none
28 > OK eix shows this:
29 > kde-base/libkdegames
30 > Available versions:
31 > (3.5) 3.5.9 ~3.5.10
32 > (4.2) (~)4.2.2 (~)4.2.3
33 > Installed versions: 4.2.2(4.2)(10:10:14 04/28/09)
34 >
35 > Now emerge what to update it:
36 >
37 > emerge -pv libkdegames
38 >
39 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
40 >
41 > Calculating dependencies... done!
42 > [ebuild U ] kde-base/libkdegames-4.2.3 [4.2.2]
45 > What am I missing here? Shouldn't the upgrade or world
46 > pick up the the need to upgrade these packages, or
47 > do I need some syntax to check my (kde 4) sets to see if
48 > any of them need updating? (missed something here).
51 > And why does depclean want to remove all of these kde 4
52 > packages? Surely, I do not have to put them
53 > all in the world file? Use something other than depclean
54 > with sets?
57 > confused,
58 > James
64 This may not be correct but here goes anyway. I don't think portage
65 checks for sets that way. I may be wrong. If you want portage to check
66 the sets for upgrades, you may need to add the name of the sets to the
67 file /var/lib/portage/world_sets. I have @system in that file so that
68 when I upgrade world, it checks system too.
69
70 Someone else may have a better solution to this tho.
71
72 Dale
73