From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg uses vt8 instead of vt7 after logging out of gnome
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:10:58
1 Yiannis <yiannis@××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:35:49 -0500
4 > Lance Lassetter <lance@××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 05:32 +0300, Yiannis wrote:
7 > > > Hello,
8 > > >
9 > > > I have noticed this strange behavior on my gentoo box. After logging
10 > > > out of gnome, gdm and the subsequent gnome session use vt8 instead
11 > > > of vt7(which was used till that time). All following sessions
12 > > > continue using vt8.
13 > > > Has anybody else noticed such behavior?
14 > > >
15 > > > Regards
16 > > >
17 > > > Yiannis
18 > > >
19 > > Yep. vt7 to login then switched to vt8 after logging in. So if you
20 > > ctrl+alt+f1 you get console tty1 and if at the gdm screen you're still
21 > > at vt7. If you log in then instead of ctrl+alt+vt7 to get back into
22 > > gnome you ctrl+alt+vt8.
23 > >
24 > > Dunno why :) Used to be standard vt7 and vt8 was used for launching
25 > > another session of X.
26 > >
27 > > Lance
30 > Appending:
31 > 0=Standard vt7
32 > in /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf did the trick.
33 >
34 > Should have googled better
37 I have a similar problem -- with more recent versions of gdm, gdm tries
38 to take ovver vt7 even though it is in use by a login prompt -- I
39 actually have 11 virtual consoles active. I wonder if this solution
40 would prevent this behavior?
43 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
44 How do
45 you spend it?
46
47 John Covici