From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: pthreads condition variable/mutex question
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:33:58
1 On 13/08/2014 22:28, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 >> Have you considered a really simple solution like dbus?
3 > I don't know if I would call dbus "really simple". :)
4 >
5 > My current implementation uses Unix domain sockets (which is what dbus
6 > usually uses, isn't it?), and I'm trying to figure out how to reduce
7 > overhead and latency. dbus would add even more overhead (it has code
8 > to deal with byte ordering, serial/cookies, and various other features
9 > and abstractions). I'm not sure it's really practical for
10 > high-frequency events (e.g 100-200 events per second).
13 To be honest, I'm somewhat out of my depth in this area. Sure, I can
14 discuss it but you want details, and that I can't really provide.
15
16 I mentioned dbus really just as a way to encourage you to think out of
17 the box a little. Maybe it fits your needs, maybe not. But at least you
18 would have given it some thought :-)
19
20 Reading through the rest of the thread, perhaps dbus isn't suitable for
21 this. You have lots of messages and they don't seem to be text-based.
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com