From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving the portage tree to /var
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:06:59
1 On 27/10/2014 17:45, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 10/25/2014 12:45 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 10/25/2014 09:57 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> On 10/7/2014 6:03 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Tuesday 07 Oct 2014 22:56:28 Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >>>>> Quite the opposite. Ideally, you should remove the PORTDIR setting
7 >>>>> from make.conf. repos.conf is the newer, more flexible way to
8 >>>>> configure it.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Unfortunately, that will break some of the third-party portage tools
11 >>>>> which parse make.conf directly.
12 >>>
13 >>>> <Scratches head> ... so are we supposed to guess this, wait for a news article
14 >>>> somewhere, or will it show up in an emerge log somewhere?
15 >>>
16 >>> So... would appreciate a response from someone who knows.
17 >>>
18 >>> I really dislike making systemic changes like this without really solid
19 >>> guidance on how (and hopefully the why too)...
20 >
21 >> I'm only guessing, but I don't think PORTDIR is going away for a while.
22 >
23 > Ok, but that doesn't answer the main question...
24 >
25 > Mike Gilbert - apparently a gentoo dev - said that ideally we should
26 > remove the PORTDIR setting.
27 >
28 > This begs three questions...
29 >
30 > 1. Is this correct?
31 >
32 > 2. If so, is there a definitive guide/news item/post somewhere that
33 > explains the details (how and why mainly)?
34 >
35 > 3. If not, why did Mike say this?
38 Occam's razor:
39
40 What Mike said probably translates best to something like this:
41
42 Guys, I think it would be a good idea to get rid of PORTDIR now or soon
43 seeing as we're close to being able to do it. What do you all think?
44
45 The complete lack of any announcement or plan and that PORTDIR still
46 works as always indicates this is probably what he meant by "should" -
47 just a dev talking about an idea
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com