From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Build problems due to invalid libtool arguments
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:10:48
1 On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 07:23:27PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > I'm currently upgrading my little sister's PC from an x86 Sempron to an
5 > x86_64 AMDS A6 processor. So Gentoo is being installed from scratch.
6 >
7 > But some packages fail to build. I filed a bug [1] for
8 > media-libs/libggi-2.2.2, but a similar problem is happening for
9 > pygtksourceview now, and I do not find a simple workaround.
10 >
11 > The problem is that in the libtool linking phase the arguments "/usr/bin
12 > /usr/sbin /bin /sbin" are given along the libraries and library paths. I
13 > have no idea why this happens, and how to solve this. Something must be
14 > wrong on my system. But what? For libggi, emerging with USE=-aalib sort
15 > of solved this. But I have no idea what to do about pygtksourceview. As
16 > all gthe KDE stuff seems to depend on this, I cannot continue
17
18 I notice that you have 'MAKEOPTS="-j4"'. You wouldn't believe how
19 many problems you can solve by changing to 'MAKEOPTS="-j1"'. Yes, the
20 build process may take a bit longer, but the final executable runs just
21 as fast. Change to 'MAKEOPTS="-j1"' and see what happens.
22
23 The concept of parallel jobs is nice in theory, and you can *USUALLY*
24 get away with it. The problem is that if a job tries to use an
25 intermediate file before it's fully created, or if the "destructor"
26 (file deletion) does it's thing before the scratch file has been used,
27 things get very fouled up. My attitude is that the first time you spend
28 hours trying to trace down a non-replicatable bug, you will lose more
29 time than you "save" by speeding up builds with 'MAKEOPTS="-j4"'.
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>