From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub-0.97-r16 and profile 17.0 change
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 23:33:20
1 On 12/02/2017 04:28 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > This profile change seems to have hit a few people in sensitive
3 > locations.
4 >
5 > What is the upshot of this change? Can I eyeball the diff _before_ I
6 > sync ?
9 The new 17.0 profile switches the default C++ version to C++14, and
10 enables PIE/SSP by default with real upstream support for those
11 features. As a result, it requires gcc-6.x. Most build failures are due
12 to that -- basically ancient stable versions that never got tested with
13 a modern compiler/features until now.
14
15 Syncing is safe, nothing bad will happen unless you `eselect profile`
16 one of the new 17.0 profiles.
17
18 You're seeing a lot of reports because there is a news item telling
19 people to switch to the new profile and run "emerge -e @world".