From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 12:46:27
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 10:13:44 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> After seeing your reply, I realize I just type the command and it
5 >> prompts me for a password. I ctrl c to exit. Well, ain't that
6 >> something? You can stop laughing now. ;-)
7 >>
8 >> It seems to think helloworld and reallysecurepassword is OK. I have to
9 >> question just how good this tool is at this point.
10 > Quite!
11 >
12 > I think the cracklib acceptance parameters are not as strict as they could
13 > have been for modern computing, but I don't know how to tweak them. With
14 > johntheripper you have many options to tweak the characters tested, length,
15 > etc. when checking a password.
16 >
17 > PS. I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the passwords cracklib
18 > thought were OK.
19
20 I'm emerging john* or at least it's thinking on it.
21
22 I was talking about you laughing at my comment about the idiot in the
23 chair who was using the command wrong.  I have to admit, I was laughing
24 at myself over here.  lol  I might add, I did try to get a man page or
25 -h to help but it didn't.
26
27 I've got my password down to something I can remember and isn't to bad
28 to type.  The password strength meter thingys, while not perfect either,
29 do say it is a strong one.  My looking at it says it is strong too.  I
30 just can't imagine anyone guessing it.  It's so random and such that I
31 think it would be very difficult to crack.  Even if one could, it would
32 take a fairly long time even with some pretty fast puters.  It may not
33 be NSA proof either but I suspect it would take even them a while.
34 Still, I'd like to test this thing really well if I can find a tool that
35 can really do it properly.  We already know the meter sites aren't
36 trustworthy.  It seems cracklib isn't quite there either.  Moving on.
37
38 Thanks for the help.  By the time I get around to using this thing, it
39 may be easy to crack with some laser type puter or something.
40
41 Dale
42