From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:54:32
1 >> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local laptop
2 >> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind a
3 >> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
4 >> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on each
5 >> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
6 >
7 > If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the OpenVPN
8 > server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
9
10 I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately, but
11 I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
12
13 > But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router, running an
14 > OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your laptop
15 > connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop over
16 > the VPN-link.
17 > Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your laptop (one
18 > to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
19
20 So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of my
21 remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
22 systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
23 systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
24 make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
25
26 - Grant