From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 07:29:47
1 Am 08.01.2013 00:20, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:11:35 +0100
3 > Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi list!
6 >>
7 >> I have a use case where I am seriously concerned about bit rot [1]
8 >> and I thought it might be a good idea to start looking for it in my
9 >> own private stuff, too.
10 [...]
11 >> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot
12 >>
13 >> Regards,
14 >> Florian Philipp
17 > You are using a very peculiar definition of bitrot.
18 >
19 > "bits" do not "rot", they are not apples in a barrel. Bitrot usually
20 > refers to code that goes unmaintained and no longer works in the system
21 > it was installed. What definition are you using?
24 That's why I referred to wikipedia, not the jargon file ;-)
25
26 The definition that I thought about was decay of storage media,
27 especially hard disks. I'm not aware of another commonly used name for
28 that effect. Disk rot seems to apply only to optical media.
29
30 > If you mean crummy code that goes unmaintained, then keep systems up to
31 > date and report bugs.
32 >
33 > If you mean disk file corruption, then doing it file by file is a
34 > colossal waste of time IMNSHO. You likely have >1,000,000 files. Are
35 > you really going to md5sum each one daily? Really?
38 Well, not daily but often enough that I likely still have a valid copy
39 as a backup.
40
41 > This is a filesystem task, not a cronjab task. Use a filesystem that
42 > does proper checksumming. ZFS does it, but that is of course somewhat
43 > problematic on Linux. Check out the others, it will be something modern
44 > you need, like ext4 maybe or btrfs
47 AFAIK, ext4 only has checksums for its metadata. Even if the file system
48 would support appropriate checksums out-of-the-box, I'd still need a
49 tool to regularly read files and report on errors.
50
51 As I said above, the point is that I need to detect the error as long as
52 I still have a valid backup. Professional archive solutions do this on
53 their own but I'm looking for something suitable for desktop usage.
54
55 Regards,
56 Florian Philipp