From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] adobe-flash-11.2.202.228 + nvidia crashing
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 15:29:56
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I don't remember reading about anyone else with this problem.
5 >> Hopefully I haven't missed the right thread.
6 >>
7 >> I run stable Gentoo + a few ~amd64 packages. My video adapter is an
8 >> NVidia 463 GTX. Since the update to adobe-flash-11.2.202.228 a few
9 >> weeks ago all Flash apps crash the plugin within Firefox. I posted a
10 >> bug report here and got shot down for reasons I don't understand. (I
11 >> understand what he said and why he said it, but I didn't understand
12 >> them just giving up without feedback back to Adobe, etc.)
13 >>
14 >> I'm wondering if anyone else has suffered through this to find a
15 >> solution. The nouveau suggestion isn't where I want to go with my
16 >> machines and I'm just not finding any solutions on the web yet.
17 >>
18 >> Anyway, there was at the time a newer (IIRC) or possibly slightly
19 >> older (IIDRC) Flash ebuild but it's been removed from portage. That
20 >> one worked for me. There is a newer version (11.2.202.233) listed on
21 >> the Adobe Flash site but I haven't found info on what it corrects.
22 >>
23 >> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
24 >
25 > Flash 11.2 added some new kind of hardware acceleration which
26 > apparently doesn't work properly for whatever reason. Disable HW
27 > acceleration in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and cross your fingers... or
28 > downgrade to 11.1.
31 I thought I'd report back that while Flash continues to crash on this
32 machine only even with updates to both Firefox & adobe-flash, I tried
33 Google Chrome this morning and it works perfectly. I appears the root
34 cause of this problem would be Firefox, not Flash or nvidia-drivers,
35 and I once again have a solution for watching Flash-based media, at
36 least for the short term.
37
38 My thinking at this point is that Google is going to drive a solution
39 that keeps YouTube users happy. I doubt long-term they'll let Adobe, a
40 much smaller company, control their future... :-)
41
42 Cheers,
43 Mark