From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Share /home with Gentoo and Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:53:13
1 On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 121127 Randy Westlund wrote:
3 >> I'm a new gentoo user coming from Ubuntu.
4 >
5 > Welcome !
6 >
7 >> I've been proving to myself that I can do everything I need with Gentoo
8 >> on a secondary laptop, and after a few weeks, I think I've got it:
9 >> svn repos, AVR cross compiler, multiple screens, etc. I much prefer
10 >> Gentoo to Ubuntu and would like to put it on my primary laptop,
11 >> but I think I should leave an Ubuntu installation on there just in case.
12 >> I'd like to have Gentoo, Ubuntu and Win7 alongside each other.
13 >> How feasible would it be to have Gentoo and Ubuntu share a /home partition?
14 >
15 > It's likely to cause problems after a short time,
16 > as the 2 OS's will vary in the way they handle config files
17 > & pkgs wb updated at different times & to different versions.
18 >
19 > Try having separate homes, but symlink most of your subdirs in Ubuntu
20 > -- since you are likely to stop using it soon -- to those in Gentoo.
21 > The subdirs to symlink wb those which contain your personal stuff
22 > -- documents, pictures, whatever -- , which won't vary with OS.
23 >
24 > --
26 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
32 Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to have separate /home
33 directories and symlink the important things. Given that I don't
34 intend to use ubuntu very much, it makes the most sense. But at some
35 point, I want to try this on a spare machine, just to see what
36 happens. Perhaps if I run xfce on gentoo and kde on ubuntu, there
37 would be fewer collisions.