From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dennis Ritchie
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:33:08
1 On 15/10/2011 13:26, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > On 15/10/2011 12:33, luis jure wrote:
3 >>
4 >> hello boys [1],
5 >>
6 >> i know i don't participate much on this list, but this does not mean that
7 >> i don't try to follow most of the threads (not all of them, i admit).
8 >>
9 >> i realized just now that no one has commented on the news of the recent
10 >> death of dennis ritchie. considering that his contributions to the
11 >> development of computational technologies were not only paramount, but
12 >> affect all of us in a very direct way, i think we could somehow compensate
13 >> for the lack of echo of these news in the media, by dedicating some time
14 >> to celebrate his memory and express our gratitude.
15 >
16 > I agree,
17 >
18 > I have spent the last few hours trying to explain his work to the folks
19 > here who were so saddened by Steve Jobs passing. While it is very sad on
20 > both counts, I am getting annoyed by the opinion that "Richie might have
21 > helped popularise C, but SJ invented the iPhone...which is 10x more useful".
22 >
23 > I swear I'm dealing with a bunch of cretins here :P
26 I think I might have understated his part in C, sorry. Trying to do too
27 many things at once :(